Saturday, November 6, 2010

Every Moment Counts

Last night, after I got Davis to sleep, I came across the blog of someone I didn't know.  It was a nicely designed blog and it had a catchy title, so began to read.  I skimmed just a few words and I could quickly tell that this woman had lost a child.  After reading further, I discovered that her child was an otherwise healthy and happy four-month-old boy who had passed away in his sleep.  One day he was learning to roll over and give kisses; the next day he was gone.  This hit so close to home that I couldn't help but continue reading some of her posts.  As tears ran down my face and prayers went out to this family, I learned that this woman would never feel whole again...that she may be able to find joy in life, but that something will always be missing and that she will live out the rest of her life waiting to see her son again.  It got me thinking about little moments and how important they are.  And it really drove home how important it is to savor every second we get here on earth with our children, our families, and our dear friends.  The blogger wrote about how she would never regret forgoing her own much-needed rest in favor of staring at her beautiful baby boy as he slept, and she wrote of how she would always remember the little things like patting his bottom and the way he smelled and his biggest smiles, which he saved for his daddy.  I hope to always feel about my son the way I feel right now, loving and appreciating every moment I get with him and not sweating the small stuff.  I will relish the few short years when I'll get to hold him and squeeze him as much as I want.  I will continue to try to be selfless when it comes to him and my family.  I will not live in fear of "spoiling" him with love and will give him as many new and positive experiences as I can.


1 comment:

  1. You are such a fantastic mom, Leah. You will look back on this time of your life with such joy and so few regrets because you are now, at this moment, trying to seize it. Raising kids can be so exhausting and even difficult, but the benefits and the joy far outweigh all of the hardship and sacrifice. Davis is so blessed to call you Mom.

    ReplyDelete